Periodontal disease, also called gum disease, is inflammation or infection of the gums. For the most part, periodontal disease is preventable. It is also treatable, at Mirelez Wellness Dental in Fresno.
Gum disease is so pervasive in the US that it has been called a health crisis by the American Dental Association.
- If left untreated, it can cause irreversible damage such as tooth loss.
- Practicing daily dental hygiene and having 6-month dental exams are the best way to prevent periodontal disease.
- Periodontal disease can occur without the presence of decay.
- Almost half of all 30+ adults in the US have periodontal disease.
- In some cases, periodontal disease generates no noticeable symptoms.
Risk factors for periodontal disease include tobacco use, poor oral hygiene (especially failing to floss), genetics, teeth grinding, inflammatory conditions, and poor nutrition.
There may be no better example of prevention being the best medicine. With regular brushing and flossing, and checkups at Mirelez Wellness Dental in Fresnoactice, we treat gum disease. Our patients come from Medera, Selma, and Oakhurst for family dentistry. Call to schedule a checkup with us today!
Contact Mirelez Wellness Dental:
Location (Tap to open in Google Maps):